Friday, October 11, 2013

Thursday Night Quilt Class

On the second Thursday of every month I have been going to a quilt class held at Ivy Thimble Quilt Shop in Victor NY.  Last year we made these gorgeous monthly squares that could be used on a wire display or hung on a door.  This year we are doing table runners that go along with the season or holidays. We have a fantastic group of quilters that try to come every month. Joanne is our instructor and she knows hundreds of tricks and tips!  Trish is the store owner and is always there to support us, show us the latest books, tools and classes. 

So this month the class was to make a beautiful table runner with a fall theme. 


We were doing the one on the bottom right corner.   




But only Laura was doing the class.

The rest of us were misbehaving!  

Nancy was doing a fall table runner with graduating shades of the most rich looking fall colors you have seen.

Kim was working on her Civil War quilt. Or so she said. Every time I looked over she was looking at the instruction book with her head in her hands!! 

Shannon and Nicole were starting a table topper project they found on a recent road trip.

My boss and friend Deb couldn't come this month but was planning on working on her table runner at home during the same time.  She texted me that didn't happen as planned.

And I was looking for advice on an idea I had to make personalized luggage tags for my sister Betsy and her family who are going to Disney in November.  

Joanne introduced me to a product I had never heard of before called Slicker. It's iron on vinyl.  Except you can't actually touch the iron to the vinyl or it will melt.  But using the method in the instructions you can turn any fabric into waterproof fabric. NEAT STUFF !!  I had found these fantastic little leather like bracelets at Joann Fabrics for $1.00 the other night and it was just what I needed to make my tags sturdy and functional.  I also bought fabric sheets you can feed through an inkjet printer. Something else I had never done before.  

So here is my finished project and I couldn't be more thrilled with it's outcome!  I am going to make 5 more for the other travelers and maybe some with dice, playing cards or poker chips for my friends that go to Vegas yearly. 


It is sooooo much cuter in person :)

Details hidden (HIPAA lol) :)




4 comments: